16 march 2006
four years in the making, deadjournalist finally is a reality. finally.
With that, this URL launched six years ago.
In 2002, my friends Sam and Jeff and I were talking about various projects. They were designers and I wasn’t. So, I decided that my artistic adventure would be a returning to writing. One day, after talking about various topics, we began discussing journalists of bygone eras. Yes, those dead journalists.
Dead journalists, huh? That sounds like a cool name for a Web site. And so, for three years, deadjournalists or deadjournalist or thedeadjournalist was tossed around until, in 2005, I decided on “deadjournalist” and grabbed the domain.
It took me a year to actually get the site up. It started basic, with me coding the site in an old copy of Dreamweaver. It started as something simple. Then got more involved when I started doing interviews. Then added writers …
Here we are, in 2012, and DeadJournalist is turning 10. Or turning six. Or turning seven? Who knows. But I’m here and the site’s here and I guess that’s all that matters.
So what does that have to do with Lewis Grizzard?
Well, 10 years ago is when Sam and I (we were roomies at the time) threw our first ‘Elvis Is Dead’ party. At first it was 30 friends in an apartment. The last three years it was hundreds of people at various venues. It wasn’t about Elvis. I was an honest excuse and throw a joint birthday party without it being a birthday party. And since the party fell on the day Elvis died (or did he?), the name was formed.
Every time I think about ‘Elvis Is Dead’ I think about the Grizzard book. My dad was a fan of his writing, and his book titles were pretty damn funny.
But I think “Elvis Is Dead And I Don’t Feel So Good Myself” has become my unofficial montra over the years. I think it sums me up about as well as anything could.
What does that have to do with DeadJournalist and its birthday?
That’s why I’m still publishing this damn site 10 years after the original idea.
Thanks for reading.
One comment on “Happy Birthday to DeadJournalist (10! 7? 6?)”
- NEW! All music and music video posts are now exclusively on the DeadJournalist Tumblr site! Follow DeadJournalist on Tumblr
- Happy Father’s Day, Year Three
- Jon Wolf Mixtape: 13 for ’13 – Songs of the Summer
- Exclusive Interview: The So So Glos
- Don’t Forget about Tumblr
- Music, To Me
- Exclusive Interview: Jamaican Queens
- Exclusive Interview: Psychic Twin
- Editorial: “Accidental Racist” – Good Intent, Poor Execution
- Exclusive Interview: Vague-à-bonde
- Exclusive Interview: Cloud Cult
- DeadJournalist’s 7-11 Anniversary
- Exclusive Interview: The History of Apple Pie
- Music! Music Videos! They Are Back! (Because of Tumblr)
- Why So Few DeadJournalist Posts? Let Me Explain
- Exclusive Interview: Hayden
- Retro Album Review: The Pleased – Don’t Make Things
- Exclusive Interview: Ivan & Alyosha
- Exclusive Interview: Wang Chung
Archives: August 2006 to Current
- "Keep a clear eye. Don't ever be steered by what others may be writing. Write what you feel, and tell everybody else to go f--- themselves." - Furman Bisher