Each summer I make an effort to clean up what tunes are on my playlist to reflect the summers activities.
This is what I’ve been listening to this summer…
Iron Maiden/Coheed and Cambria: I’ve been visiting Maidens back catalog this summer along with their hits in preparation for their concert that Coheed and Cambria are opening. I am especially stoked for this because I have yet to see Iron Maiden live and they are one of my favorite bands.
The Expendables: I try to always find a band that goes hand and hand with grilling or catching some sun on the beach, and The Expendables are that band for me this summer. With a mix of punk, metal, reggae, surf and ska it’s hard to not just sit back, relax and enjoy the sweat rolling down my head.
MxPx: This band is the reason that I got into playing music. They made everything obtainable for me. This year MxPx released a new album, Plans Within Plans, and it is some of their best material in years.
The Browning: Mixing metal and electronica, The Browning are extremely heavy and catchy at the same time. They intertwine brutal overdriven guitar riffs with synthetic beats and deep bass drops. Electronica is one of my many guilty pleasures in life, and The Browning mix electronica and metal so fucking well.
Bruce Springsteen: This summer I have also been rekindling my love for The Boss. It was this summer that I discovered Nebraska and I have keep coming back to listen to it one more time.The album is just Bruce and his guitar singing folk/country/bluesy songs.
So there it is – these are the albums that make up the majority of my playlist and will continue to do so for the next few months until the days start getting shorter and the weather is a little bit cooler.
My listening habits, like me, are very strange. I have the pleasure of managing a coffee shop that allows me to play my own music. This is what I make the customers listen to:
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. “An Ugly Person on a Movie Screen”
Ah Holly Fam’ly “EIEIO”
Q And Not U “Wonderful People”
The Drums “Money”
Albin de la Simone “Catastophe”
Zoot Woman “Hope In The Mirror”
Klak Tik “Etching”
Delta 5 “You”
Daniel Rossen “Golden Mile”
No Knife “Flechette”
The Daredevil Christopher Wright The Nature of Things
Here We Go Magic A Different Ship
Wild Beasts Smother
Bowerbirds The Clearing
Poor Moon Illusion
Bear In Heaven I Love You, It’s Cool
Visions by Grimes
Reign of Terror< by Sleigh Bells
Worship by A Place To Bury Strangers
The Money Store by Death Grips
WKND by Ferry Corsten
Army of Mushrooms by Infected Mushroom
Dark Adrenaline by Lacuna Coil
Confess by Twin Shadow
Bloom by Beach House
Ghostory by School of Seven Bells
The Palace Garden by Beat Connection
Blunderbuss by Jack White
Shrines by Purity Ring
Synthetica by Metric
Unpatterns by Simian Mobile Disco
Comments are closed.
- NEW! All music and music video posts are now exclusively on the DeadJournalist Tumblr site! Follow DeadJournalist on Tumblr
- Don’t Forget about Tumblr
- Music, To Me
- Guest Writers Coming In May
- Exclusive Interview: Jamaican Queens
- Exclusive Interview: Psychic Twin
- Editorial: “Accidental Racist” – Good Intent, Poor Execution
- Exclusive Interview: Vague-à-bonde
- Exclusive Interview: Cloud Cult
- DeadJournalist’s 7-11 Anniversary
- Exclusive Interview: The History of Apple Pie
- Music! Music Videos! They Are Back! (Because of Tumblr)
- Why So Few DeadJournalist Posts? Let Me Explain
- Exclusive Interview: Hayden
- Retro Album Review: The Pleased – Don’t Make Things
- Exclusive Interview: Ivan & Alyosha
- Exclusive Interview: Wang Chung
- Exclusive Interview: Cayucas
- Exclusive Interview: Fonda
Archives: August 2006 to Current
- "Keep a clear eye. Don't ever be steered by what others may be writing. Write what you feel, and tell everybody else to go f--- themselves." - Furman Bisher